Sunday, March 18, 2012

Working on my Final Cake

Now, I don't mean my final cake ever, just my final for my class. Lyle has requested that I make a Mario cake. I am required to have at least 2 tiers and 3 decorating techniques. So, I am going to do fondant work, a little piping, and a gum paste flower. I may also try to use color flow somewhere, but that's not working out as well as I would have hoped (so if anyone has any Mario color flow ideas, let me know. Color flow was used to make the bird and butterfly on my previous cake if you need a reminder of what it is). 

Anyways, the gum paste flower is supposed to be representative of the fire flower on Mario. 

The only problem is that this:


Is not a particularly exciting flower to make, and I really want to do a large gum paste flower. So I am working on a compromise. I am going to make a 3D version of this flower that is more intricate than just circles. And it will look something like this:

 (I'm sorry if you saw this on my Facebook page and are already bored with it) 


This is the first time I have made this kind of a flower. I wanted to do a peony style rose because it has more of a balled up center, and I will probably put little eyes in it like the previous picture. Plus the petals allow for more of a fire ball look too. 

I have not been using the "correct" tools to make this flower. The kit to make a peony is $27.00 and it only contains 4 cutters and a "veining" tool! Isn't that a little ridiculous? I think so.

This is most definitely not my final flower, I have a bit more practice yet. I want the red on the final layer to be really bright, and it will need to be a little bigger still. I am soooooooo excited about it, though. 


Stay tuned for more projects as I work on completing my final cake. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts