Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My "First" Cake

Did I mention that I'm taking a Cake Decorating class this semester? I am so excited about it. It really is my favorite class so far (this semester). I'm no expert (well duh, I've only been in the class for 2 weeks). But I hope to really learn somethings that will make me one, or at least help me make awesome cakes. This first cake, for my assignment, was supposed to be basic: 2 layers (mine were a little short), a filling, a shell border top and bottom, 3 other icing techniques, and 3 colors. Since I am just learning, I tried to do some basic things. I also tried not to over do it. I have a tendency of being over decorating. This one is simple and I like it. I expect to get better as the semester goes, but this one is ok for my first assignment.



Things I would like to improve upon
  • I think my cake could be more smooth.
  • I hate making a shell border. I am soooooo bad at it, but it's a basic thing and I guess I really should know how to do it well. 
  • Become a little more creative.
  • Steady out my writing a little. 

Some things that I have learned that may help you:
  • If you want your cake to come out of the pan beautifully, spray the pan , then line the bottom with parchment (not wax paper) that is the same size as the bottom of the pan. Spray again. Your cake will come out like a dream. 
  • Patience is important. Ugh, there's that p word again. But I really did much better when I took my time. 
  • While it's fun to learn how to decorate a cake, if it doesn't taste good, what's the point? :)

I'm so excited to share more cakes with you this semester, and hopefully you can learn along with me!




1 comment:

  1. It looks yummy. I actually wanted a piece, but I always want what you're making, so what's new?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts